First Chapter of the book “Treating Problems, Not Symptoms” by Dr. Jake Berman, PT, DPT
The story behind changing our thought process from Western Medicine to Eastern Medicine, to identify and treat problems instead of treating symptoms, came from Jenni getting very, very sick.
- (1:23): The same thing can be said for physical ailments like knee pain — surgeon finds arthritis, recommends injection for first line of treatment which is not a sustainable treatment.
- (2:02): Book is on Amazon, search “Treat Problems, Not Symptoms” by Dr. Jake Berman
- (2:20): Jenni was in a Master’s Program and started to get sick!
- (3:40): She is going through countless tests and blood workups – everything was negative. The diagnosis at the end of the hospital stay was Dehydration.
- (4:30): Jake was treating a GI doctor at the time while Jenni was going through all of this. Jake is talking with his patient about Jenni’s symptoms, tests, etc.
- (5:20): He told us about the “magic pill”!
- (5:50): The Doctor’s Answer: “she might have to be on this forever!”
- (6:58): A few minutes later Dr. Jake was thinking “Western medicine is not the way”.
- (7:25): Dr. Jake was raised in Western medicine thought process and was taught Western Medicine in PT school, but he knew we had to go Eastern Medicine.
- (8:03): Dr. Jake discussed Jenni’s story with an Acupuncturist.
- (9:02): The answer was staring at Dr. Jake… a book sitting on his bookshelf… had been right in front of him.
- (9:24): The book “The Grain Brain” by Dr. Perlmutter changed our lives.
- (9:56): Gluten is what is making her sick!
- (11:40): Cross contamination is still a concern for gluten intolerance.
- (12:00): We fixed her without medication with just changing diet!
- (12:27): She had been tested for gluten ALLERGY in the past which was negative.
- (13:40): You do not have to have an allergy to “ruin your life”. A sensitivity can still cause life altering effects.
- (14:20): The effects of the sensitivities build up and then reactions occur and worsen.
- (14:38): We cured Jenni by treating the PROBLEM and not the SYMPTOM.
- (14:55): That is when Dr. Jake realized he was treating his patient’s wrong, too. He was treating symptoms at that time.
- (15:30): The knee is no different than the hinges on the door – opens and closes, straightens and bends.
- (0:51): Comparing the knee to a door – the hip is the weak point causing the knee pain.
- (1:15): Jenni’s story is what changed our lives — changed how we treat — changed how we look at things.
- (1:56): Next week, Jenni will be with you!
Join us on social media –
Facebook: @bermanwellness, @physicaltherapynaples
Instagram: @berman_wellness, @bermanphysicaltherapy
Email us –