The Importance of Nutrition & How it Affects Our Muscle Recovery!
- (0:45) Jenni is solo today!
- (1:01) The Berman Method is about treating problems not symptoms, so we want to identify where that problem is coming from. Whether it has to do with your metabolism, back pain, autoimmune disease.. We have to dig deep to find where the problem is coming from so we can treat that and help the body’s recovery appropriately to then approve upon the symptoms
- (1:25) The idea behind this is that we can basically fix it and make sure the symptoms don’t come back once you are feeling better
- (1:45) Of course these things will come back whether it be from a food that you may sensitive to or overdo a workout and not get the proper recovery but if we know where the problem is coming from and know how to treat that, we can usually decrease the duration of the symptoms, the intensity of the symptoms so then they’re are certain things we can do to help our body get into recovery faster
- (2:19) That is a little overview of treating problems and not symptoms in case you were not clear on what we meant by that
- (2:37) Today we will be talking about nutrition and muscle recovery
- (3:01) We want the muscles to recover and rebuild to gain strength and help tone up. We want to make sure the muscles are recovering appropriately so that they aren’t actually breaking down and using a more inflammatory cycle
- (3:25) We recently just started working out at a gym called “ D1 Training” in Naples. They do have different locations, group training, multiple different class types.
- (5:08) We can never outwork a bad diet
- (5:46) Exercise is important, we NEED to move our body everyday and it is 20% of the weight loss.
- (6:16) As we go through hormonal changes as we age, our metabolism slows down therefore leaving less fuel in our body
- (7:11) Sugar turns to fat
- (7:32) Multiple other factors that cause a change in metabolism
- (8:57) All of this is to say exercise is important but you can’t outwork a bad diet. So we have to be filling our bodies with the correct things, get adequate sleep and more
- (9:18) In the PT area, they are treating problems not symptoms as well and I explain how
- (10:12) Everything we do for PT is looking at you head to toe figuring out what is causing the muscles to activate incorrectly, to look at the alignment of the different joints to see if the muscles are firing how they are supposed to
- (11:18) The more muscle we have the higher our resting metabolic rate is, the body is constantly burning calories and fat when we have more muscle mass.
- (11:58) We want you to put on lean muscle mass
- (12:37) Those with more muscle mass, live longer lives. Your muscles are going to be what continues to allow your body to move, allow you to move longer, your metabolism will be revved up longer, keeps the organs functioning at higher level for a longer period of time.
- (13:00) Jenni goes over her thesis on bed ridden patients, in PA school, specifically those with hip replacements and how it affected their mortality rate and explains what she learned
- (13:43) One thing Jenni focused on was branch chain amino acids, these are really good for muscle recovery especially when we aren’t using them much
- (14:30) This is why it is so important for next 20-50 years that you have the most efficient muscle recovery with your food and your supplements
- (14:36) Something we have at the PT department is the Ultimate Muscle Recovery Package and this provides supplements that help recover your muscles the way they should. Whether it be after a PT session, workout, round of golf, etc.
- (14:58) You also want to be focusing on your meal plan to help your muscles recover as well. One of the things in the Muscle Recovery Package is a bottle of protein powder. We recommend plant based protein powders
- (15:50) We have to provide protein to the muscles to allow for muscle recovery. Protein is one of the most important things for blood sugar stability when it comes to fat burning, brain fog, memory and being able to gain lean muscle mass
- (16:15) There are many different ways that you can get your protein
- (16:50) We don’t want to rely on pea based protein powder
- (17:32) Something else in the Muscle Recovery Package is L-Glutamine. Both Jake and Jenni take it everyday.
- (18:10) L-Glutamine is an amino acid meaning it’s natural. It really helps with muscle recovery, it is also very important for the gut lining. It regenerates the gut lining. The healthier our gut is, the healthier our body is going to be, the less inflammation we have and the more we can absorb nutrients for muscle recovery.
- (19:06) The next thing in our Muscle Recovery Package is electrolytes. Electrolytes are something we need to balance, too much is bad. We also don’t want to dilute our electrolytes. When we drink a lot of water it can dilute our electrolytes
- (20:15) The importance of Sodium Potassium & Magnesium, though you want to find a balance
- (20:40) We do provide a tasteless electrolyte powder in the Recovery Package
- (21:19) The last thing we have in the Ultimate Recovery Package is something called “Best Rest”, this helps you sleep through the night which really helps your muscles recover.
- (22:01) The “Best Rest” supplement has helped so many of our clients with sleep, including those who have tried anything and everything to help with sleep. When you are not getting a proper night’s rest, your body isn’t in recovery
- (22:15) When you combine the meal plan and the Best Rest, gives you the best sleep
- (22:45) Best Rest has a lot of different herbs and minerals in it and the combination of these things together allow for restful deep sleep
- (24:09) It is non addictive. It is not a prescription but still always consult with your doctor
- (24:40) This Ultimate Recovery Package can work while you are going through PT, when you are finished and into your normal exercise regiment
- (26:12) Sugar doesn’t just come from treats and candy
- (26:54) Dehydration can decrease metabolism by 30%. Muscles are 73% water.
- (27:27) Generally speaking males should get at least 90 oz. of water a day while women should get 70 oz.
- (27:48) If you want to see the results that you want you have to give your body the proper fuel it needs to recover
- (28:22) Even if you aren’t in Naples we can ship you the Ultimate Recovery Package
- (28:30) Take home message from today is you HAVE to fuel your body
Facebook: @bermanwellness , @physicaltherapynaples
Instagram: @berman_wellness, @bermanphysicaltherapy
Email us –
Check out our website –
Berman Physical Therapy is a physical therapy clinic in Naples, FL. Founded by Dr. Jake Berman, PT, DPT, Berman Physical Therapy’s mission is to help people aged 50+ keep ACTIVE and FREE of pain medications…even when their doctors and kids are telling them to “just take it easy!” Our specialists use rare Functional Manual Therapy techniques to find natural solutions to pain—without prescribing addictive painkillers or recommending dangerous surgeries. Maintain the active lifestyle you deserve.