Hey, it’s Dr. Jake Berman!
Have you ever wondered why your muscles are so sore the day after a hard workout?
Inflammation is the swelling or bloating that causes extreme tenderness in the muscles. Every workout causes microscopic damage to muscle fibers; the inflammation process repairs this damage during the following recovery period.
A lot of people treat “inflammation” like a dirty word, but you actually NEED that process in order to repair your tissues.
The body can also produce TOO MUCH inflammation, which is why I have a few anti-inflammatory tips and tricks for you today!
For example, did you know that your DIET can cause inflammation? If your meals contain a lot of sugars or chemicals, you’re probably experiencing inflammation… and you don’t have to!!
Keep scrolling for my list of go-to anti-inflammatory foods… that you probably already have in your kitchen RIGHT NOW:
Green leafy vegetables-This is a HUGE one. The best leafy greens for an anti-inflammatory diet are spinach, kale, and swiss chard.
- Pineapple-Pineapple juice contains an anti-inflammatory enzyme called bromelain. It’s a really good way to ease muscle aches!
- Omega 3-GREAT sources of omega 3 include salmon and walnuts
- Coconut Oil-What CAN’T coconut oil do!? This handy little treat is a medium-chain triglyceride (MCT), which means it has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Chia Seeds
- Flax Seeds
Make sure you pick high-quality, organically-produced foods with NO chemicals or pesticides!
That’s all for this time! Stay tuned for next week’s blog!
He went on to finish the University of Florida Physical Therapy Doctoral program. Following graduation, he practiced two years at Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy in Destin, FL, learning the complex philosophy of Primal Reflex Release Technique under Bob Seton. Before deciding to open his own practice, Dr. Berman furthered his education by practicing at Innovative Therapy Solutions in Jacksonville, FL, specializing in Functional Manual Therapy™ with Aaron Robles.
A lifelong resident of Naples, Jake opened the doors of Berman Physical Therapy is the very proud father of two dogs, Yeti (the office therapy dog!) and Brady. When he's not spending time with his dogs or his beautiful wife, Jenni, you can find Jake golfing or spending time outdoors.
Latest posts by Dr. Jake Berman (see all)
- 3 Things That Cause Back Pain That You Didn’t Know Until Now - March 30, 2019
- 5 Science-Backed Reasons Why You Should Spend More Time Outside - March 23, 2019
- Always Feeling Stressed? Here Are 5 Ways to Beat It - March 16, 2019